最近英文課上到鼎鼎大名的演員"卓別林"

令我想起他著名的電影《大獨裁者》

 

在電影中,

卓別林不只飾演獨裁者,還飾演一位與獨裁者長得酷似的猶太理髮師,

與心愛的女子遭到軍人的欺壓,生活不堪其擾。

最後猶太理髮師被誤認為是獨裁者,被眾人拱上台要求演講……

(下面有翻譯演講稿)

 

「chaplin the dictator」的圖片搜尋結果

 

苦難是無盡的,貪婪、自私..等惡習也是,

人們如何尋求改變?

才能盡早挽回,不至於重蹈覆轍。

近80年前的卓別林先生感悟到這個道理,

於1940年拍攝此電影。

那時是第二次世界大戰,納粹的殘暴行徑慘絕人寰。

而今21世紀,

科技使我們距離拉近,但有些國家卻主張分裂、孤立。

仍歧視不同種族、宗教的人。

全球暖化,天災接連發生。

但..這真的是追求永續幸福的方法嗎?

 

 

這裡有段感人的影片,來自一位6歲小男孩,

我想這孩子喚起人的本善,

喚起這最原始的你我

 

 


 

「chaplin quote」的圖片搜尋結果

 

 

以下是大獨裁者中的演說內容:

 

 

I’m sorry, but I don’t want to be an emperor.

我很抱歉,但我不想當個皇帝。

That’s not my business. I don’t want to rule or conquer anyone.

這不是我應該做的事。我不想統治或征服任何一個人。

I should like to help everyone - if possible - Jew, Gentile - black man - white.

我想幫助群眾,如果能力足夠的話,無論是猶太人、非猶太人、黑人、白人。

We all want to help one another.

我們都想助人為樂。

Human beings are like that.

這才是人類的本質。

We want to live by each other’s happiness - not by each other’s misery.

我們都想在他人的幸福里活著,而不是目睹降臨於他們的悲劇

We don’t want to hate and despise one another.

我們都不願怨恨、鄙視彼此

In this world there is room for everyone.

在這個世上,每個人都有歸屬

And the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone.

美麗的地球是如此豐富以養育全人類

The way of life can be free and beautiful, but we have lost the way.

生命本是自由而美麗的,但我們迷路於歧途。

 

 

Greed has poisoned men’s souls, has barricaded the world with hate, has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed.

貪婪毒害人的靈魂,並以仇恨阻礙這個世界,使我們踢著正步般走向悲劇與殺戮。

We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in.

交通追求更快的速度。但我們將自己囚禁。

Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want.

使我們富足的機器卻讓我們產生更多慾望。

Our knowledge has made us cynical.

而知識使我們憤世嫉俗。

Our cleverness, hard and unkind.

使我們的聰明才智變得嚴厲且無情。

We think too much and feel too little.

我們總是考慮太多,卻太少去感受。

More than machinery we need humanity.

比起機器,我們更需要人性

More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness.

比起聰明,我們更需要仁慈與和善

Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost….

若沒有這些特質,生命是暴力的,而且終將迷失

The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together.

飛機與無線電拉近彼此的距離。

The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men - cries out for universal brotherhood - for the unity of us all.

這些發明的初衷是為了呼喚人的本善,呼喚全世界手足般之情,呼喚全人類。

Even now my voice is reaching millions throughout the world - millions of despairing men, women, and little children - victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people.

即使全世界百萬人聽見了我的呼告。但還有百萬個痛苦的男人、女人與孩子,他們都是體制下的被害者,無辜的人們被折磨、囚禁。

 

 

To those who can hear me, I say - do not despair.

我的聽眾,我呼告:”切勿絕望

The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed - the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress.

現正降臨於你我的悲劇為貪婪的延續,其來自人們害怕進步的苦痛

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people.

而怨恨終將消逝、獨裁者終將滅亡。那些屬於人們的權力將歸還給人們。

And so long as men die, liberty will never perish. …..

而只要人在世上的一天,自由永不枯萎。

 

 

Soldiers! don’t give yourselves to brutes - men who despise you - enslave you - who regiment your lives - tell you what to do - what to think and what to feel!

軍士們!不要屈身於殘暴,不要屈服於鄙視你、奴役你、控制你,命令你的人。不要屈服於那些操控你思想與情感的人。

Who drill you - diet you - treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder.

他們操練你、餵食你,就像對待牛隻般,你像被他們利用的砲灰。

Don’t give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts!

不要使你繳械於這些醜惡的人,這些機器人與他們毫無情感的心靈。

You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men!

你不是機器!你不是牛隻!你是人!

You have the love of humanity in your hearts! You don’t hate!

你心中有愛與人性!你不憎恨!

Only the unloved hate - the unloved and the unnatural!

只有不被人們所愛的才怨恨,那些未被喜愛的、那些邪惡的人。

Soldiers! Don’t fight for slavery! Fight for liberty!

軍士們!不要為了奴役而戰!要為自由而戰!

 

 

In the 17th Chapter of St Luke it is written: “the Kingdom of God is within man” - not one man nor a group of men, but in all men!

《路加福音第17章》寫到,人在神的疆土中,不只有一個人或特定一群人----是每一個人

In you! You, the people have the power - the power to create machines.

你也有!你、全人類都有這個力量-----去製造機器與

The power to create happiness!

製造幸福!

You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure.

你、全人類都有這個力量使生命自由而美麗,化生命為一場精采的冒險。

 

 

Then - in the name of democracy - let us use that power - let us all unite.

然後,以民主之名,讓我們行使這個權力,讓我們團結一致。

Let us fight for a new world - a decent world that will give men a chance to work - that will give youth a future and old age a security.

讓我們為一個新的、正派的世界而戰,人們將有機會工作,以給予青年一個未來,給予老人安全保障。

By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power.

殘暴藉由保證這些權力而興起。

But they lie! They do not fulfil that promise. They never will!

但那些都是謊言!他們不履行承諾!他們永遠不會!

 

 

Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people!

獨裁者使自己自由卻奴役人們!

Now let us fight to fulfil that promise!

現在讓我們抗爭以便實現那個諾言。

Let us fight to free the world - to do away with national barriers - to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance.

讓我們抗爭以解放世界,廢除國家間的障礙,消滅貪婪、仇恨與偏執。

Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men’s happiness.

讓我們爭取一個理性的世界,那個世界中,科學發展帶給人們幸福。

Soldiers! in the name of democracy, let us all unite!

軍士們!以以民主之名,讓我們團結一致。

arrow
arrow
    全站熱搜

    beckyxmaggie 發表在 痞客邦 留言(0) 人氣()